Friday, November 07, 2008

Today on Serious Grape: Waving Goodbye to Expensive Wine?

I'm on the road for work, which means that I'm reading The Wall Street Journal. This paper is everywhere business travelers are: in lounges, planes, and hotels. I don't subscribe at home, but as it's Friday and the paper was outside my door, I turned to the "Tastings" column written by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher to read what two of my favorite wine critics had to say. (photo by filtran)

Essentially, they said that expensive wine was so five minutes ago. And then they made a surprising recommendation for this year's "holiday gift pick."

It's not expensive. It's not hard to get. But it will leave you wondering if America's expensive wine habits are on the brink of changing--for the better. What do I think? For my thoughts on their story, click over to Serious Grape, my weekly column on the excellent food site Serious Eats, and get all the details.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the ideas you put forward on Serious Grape, Doc. Our visions for the future should include creativity in all things. Why not wine? Isn't it so much better to surprise someone with an interesting option that will change the way that they look at wine rather than another Napa Cab or First Growth?

Amy Atwood said...

I hope it is the year of the budget wine. But even more so I hope that consumers will discover the delicious under the radar choices available.
Gamay, montepulciano,cotes du rhone, aglianico, nero d'avola, etc.

You have done great work to further this cause Dr. Debs!
And I hope that 2009 is the year that we reach the tipping point on chemical free grapes...seems to be be upon us, ready or not. Would love your thoughts on my recent post about same. MyDailyWine

Dr. Debs said...

I would love to see the White House turn to more interesting wines that really reflect the diversity of the people and wine production in this country. What could be a better statement about the US?