Sunday, April 15, 2007

Virtual Rose Tasting with Catavino

There's still time to join in the fun of Catavino's Virtual Wine Tasting event for April: Iberian Rose vs. ? Rose. Between now and April 30, see if you can find a Spanish or Portuguese rose. Wine critics and drinkers alike agree that the Iberian peninsula is producing some of the very best dry roses in the world, and Gabriella and Ryan of Catavino would like us to see what we think.

After whining that Spanish rose would be hard to find in LA, I found a surprising range of Spanish roses for under $10 at BevMo. And lots of French roses for about the same price. So, too, Mendocino and other California rose. If you want to drink along with me, here's what I'm going to be tasting and reporting on between now and April 30: the 2005 Cortijo III Rioja Rose Garnacha ($9.99); the 2005 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare ($10.99); the 2005 Grand Plagniol Rose ($9.99). If you live in California, all these should be easy to find at your local Beverages & More. So pick up one of these bottles and drink along with me, comparing notes and seeing how different roses from different reasons stack up.

For Gabriella's brief, click over to Catavino for the details. And best of all, you certainly don't need a blog to participate, since they've set up a forum for our tasting posts. I will post my notes over there, but put a post here, too, with a link to the full range of responses.

It's spring. Time to think pink, and fire up the BBQ!

3 comments:

Gabriella Opaz said...

Thank you so much for giving people the head's up on our Virtual Wine Tasting and we encourage everyone's participation. Rosé is a fantastic summer drink and one that should be shared with friends, good food and sun! So snap a few pictures, write a poem or do whatever fits your rosé experience and share it with us on our forum for April!

Gabriella

Unknown said...

If I remember correctly, Cortijo III is an Ole Imports wine. Unfortunately, my local wine joint doesn't carry the rose, but I've had several other Ole wines that I have loved. Look for the Celler Pinol Ludovicus Terra Alta 2005. It's yummy.

Dr. Debs said...

Thanks for stopping by, Gabriella. And good to see you, John,now that you're re-connected! I'll have to see if they have that wine when I go to pick up my pinks. When BevMo has one from an importer, there are generally more...