Monday, January 05, 2009

A Super Tuscan's Baby Brother

I know, I know. I'm supposed to be moving on from Tuscany. But I have to tell you about this wine first.

It's a find, because of its great flavor profile. It's a steal, since it is available for $18-$20. It's drinkable now, but I suspect it will continue to improve and develop over the next 1-3 years, so it's appropriate for short-term cellaring.

The 2004 Tenuta di Arceno PrimaVoce is an excellent QPR Italian red. It claims to be a "Baby Super Tuscan," but this is one baby that outclasses many of its higher-priced big brothers. Made from 85% Merlot and 15% Cab, this wine exhibited expressive plum and cassis aromas that were juicy without being over the top. The flavors were restrained, with currants, bitter herbs, and blackberry. What I loved most, though, was its black tea aftertaste.

This will go with any traditional Italian fare, with grilled or roasted meats and chicken, and I can tell you from experience it is delicious with a plateful of salumi and some cheese before dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this still owned by Jess Jackson?

Dr. Debs said...

Michele--don't know. Will do research and find out!