Friday, June 05, 2009

Today on Serious Eats: Spotlight on Gewürztraminer

Today on Serious Grape, my regular column on Serious Eats, I cast a spotlight on Gewürztraminer, the spicy white wine that's hard to spell but easy to love. (photo by viZZZual.com)

Often overshadowed by Riesling, Gewürztraminers offer wine drinkers food-friendly, aromatic wines that are perfect for seafood, grilled food, and spicy dishes. In short, they're great summer wines.

Head on over to Serious Grape to learn more about the grape and to get three recommendations for Gewürztraminers made in the US, in Chile, and in France's Alsace region. And of course,all the wines featured are under $20.

4 comments:

joshiemac said...

Thanks for the article!

Gewurz is a fantastic summertime wine. Actually, I find ways to drink it all year but it really stands out when paired w/ seasonal summer cuisine.

Navarro and Gundlach Bundschu both make consistently enjoyable Gewurztraminers. Robert Sinskey's Abraxis blend uses a lot of Gewurztraminer as well. It's a little pricey, but worth the splurge in my opinion.

Unknown said...

I just recently discovered this wine and loved it so much I went back for one or six more bottles to keep on hand. I was a little skeptical because of the price but it was fantastic with my Grilled Tilapia. Great article.

Dr. Debs said...

I like the Gundlach Bundschu a lot, joshiemac. Another one to look for is Navarro--buy direct from the winery if you can. It's wonderfully spicy. And glad you discovered Gewurz, Yira.

Wine Road Less Traveled said...

Gewurztraminer is one of a kind. You will always be able to pick it out from a crowd and never mistake it for something else. It is a great "summertime sipper" and what goes better with Asian cuisine?

Highly recommend it.