Friday, August 14, 2009

Don't Give This Pinot Grigio the Fish Eye

I like to think I'm not a wine snob, but I have to admit that I do look askance at 1.5ml bottles and 3li boxes of wine. And I don't buy much wine in that kind of large format size, either. I assume that its mass-produced, and not in a good way, with chemical aromas and uninspiring flavors.

So when the folks from Fish Eye poured their Pinot Grigio at the Wine Bloggers Conference a few weeks back I gave it the fish eye. I wasn't alone (names withheld to protect the guilty). But we all dutifully took a sip of the wine. Then it was true confessions time.

"This is really good," I muttered, sending out a quick tasting note on my phone.

"Wow. I didn't expect much from this but its really a nice Pinot Grigio," someone else agreed.

Everyone at the table was similarly keen on the wine--and similarly sheepish about their initial skepticism.

We were even more impressed when we discovered that the price for 750ml was around $7, and the price for the 1.5li was around $12. And they may be even less in your market.

This is not profound Pinot Grigio, but it is superbly drinkable Pinot Grigio with fresh lemon and apple aromas and flavors--and none of that horrible, acidic bitterness that made me swear off the stuff a few years back when it became everyone's favorite wine-by-the-glass selection. Excellent QPR for a quaffable wine that has the proper varietal characteristics and an appealing price sticker.

Get yourself a mess of shrimp and some cocktail sauce, toss a salad, buy the big bottle or box of Fish Eye Pinot Grigio and invite your neighbors over for dinner. It will be a perfect end-of-summer meal.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I haven't tried the pinot grigio, but their chardonnay is also very drinkable- and about $13 for a 3L box in my area (Denver).

Nancy said...

Here, here (or is it hear hear?). I am pleasantly surprised by Barefoot's sauvignon blanc, even though it's Gallo. $4.99 around hear :D

Dr. Debs said...

Thanks for the comment, nicole.rod. I'll look for some of their Chardonnay, too. And yes, Nancy, finding a wine you like for that price is always a reason to smile!

Term papers said...

An award-winning wine blog dedicated to celebrating everyday wine culture and helping Me find delicious, varied wines from all over the world that are good value, interesting to drink, pair well with food, and are mostly under $20