Friday, February 13, 2009

Today on Serious Grape: The Red Wine for Coffee Lovers

Do you love coffee?

Do you love red wine?

Ever had Pinotage?

If not, you should give it a try. I think of it as the red wine for coffee lovers, as I explain in this week's Serious Grape column over on Serious Eats. (photo by Rob Qld)

Its a bit berry, a bit cherry, a bit mocha, a bit cocoa, a bit espresso--and a bit of an acquired taste. But I've never found a coffee lover who didn't also like this full-bodied, strongly flavored wine.

I used to have a t-shirt that proclaimed "Coffee and Chocolate--Nature's Only Perfect Marriage." Needless to say, I love Pinotage. Click on over to the story and leave your thoughts about this grape. And if you've never had it, but can't get enough of the bitter, caffeinated brew in the morning you might enjoy switching to this wine in the evening.

5 comments:

Enotheque said...

Pinotage made in the right way really does sound like a great antecedent to some coffee after dinner. I've had similar pairing epiphanies between a really well aged, Oloroso Sherries and Pedro Ximenez-based vinos generosos, followed by dark roasted, Indonesian and Central American coffees. Glad you posted on this, as I've sort of felt all alone whenever the topic seems to come up and people generally don't feel the same way.

Anonymous said...

Pinotage is either an acquired taste, or I've never had a good one. I like to think it's the latter. I'll try to find a really good one soon, and will try it - but probably not with my morning coffee.

Unknown said...

i've been a longtime fan of Pinotage and have been drinking it a lot, but particularly, I enjoy it at Thanksgiving.
Riedel Glassware

Dr. Debs said...

Enotheque, it is good to know we're not alone. Arnaud, comments here and on Serious Grape suggest some Pinotage are quite tart and (!) cheesy. I've never had one that was remotely like that but if that's been your experience, you're not alone either!

Anonymous said...

Yes, i love red wine...