Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Seaside Whites from Puglia--Drink Them Young

Today I've got the first of my Puglian wines to share with you.

I tried a white wine, the 2005 Botromagno from Gravina. I paid just over $10 for it in a local grocery store, and you can find various vintages for $7-$16. My advice to you is this: buy the youngest wine you can, from the most recent vintage. Why? Well, I don't know much about wine from Puglia but I suspected that this bottle was just a bit over the hill.

The wine is made from a blend of Greco and Malvasia grapes, and had faint aromas of almonds, minerals, and lemon all of which were echoed in the flavors. It reminded me a bit of Fino Sherry, and made me wonder if the wine wasn't oxidized just a bit. There was a bitter acidity in the aftertaste, too.

As a result it was impossible to assess QPR on this wine. My suspicion is that a 2007 bottling would be fresh, lemony, and lively--and perfect with oysters, which are very popular in Puglia. So I'll have to try to get myself another bottle of this wine and reserve QPR judgement until then.

3 comments:

joeshico said...

Just recently reviewed a Salice Salentino from Puglia. This is a wine I've tried before and did not enjoy. The 2006 was very good. I have not read anywhere where wines from this region have been improving, but I am now seeing more and more in stores and on the net about them. There's now much more from Italy than just Tuscan, Veneto and Piedmont etc. and that's good for the country, the industry and the consumers of Italian wines. I just hope you are right about the age effecting the 2005 whites because I am starting to stock up on whites for the summer and Puglia is one of the regions I've been looking at.

watzabatza said...

Hmm... not so interested comment...
Unless I taste this wine.
It looks tasty...

michelecolline said...

That's a good rule of thumb for all Italian whites that are un-oaked...the most recent vintage if possible....secondo me...